History of the Pedagogical Library in Toruń
The Pedagogical Library in Toruń is the oldest institution of its kind in Poland. Its origin can be traced back to the year 1921 when the School Superindent’s Office for the Pomorze District started to compile its collection. In 1939 the Library collection included about 10000 volumes. Unfortunately, during the Second World War a considerable part of them was destroyed, only 2000 volumes were saved. After the war, in 1945, this collection became the basis for opening the District Pedagogical Library of School Superindent’s Office for the Pomorze District. For the year 1968 this Library played the role of the Provincial Pedagogical Library for Bydgoskie district. This Library was made up of 19 district and municipal libraries. According to the resolution of the District National Council the Pedagogical Library was moved from Toruń to Bydgoszcz in 1968, however, the Municipal Pedagogical Library was founded in the January 1969. The Library in Toruń was set up on the basis of the collection of the Municipal Pedagogical Library, which existed from 1945 in Bydgoszcz. This collection included about 25000 volumes.
In 1975, Poland underwent a new administrative division. As a result of that division, the Municipal Pedagogical Library transformed into the District Pedagogical Library in Toruń. The Library had six branches (in such towns as Brodnica, Chełmno, Nowe Miasto Lubawskie, Grudziądz, Wąbrzeźno, and from 1988 also Chełmża). The School Superindent’s Office in Toruń began to shut the branches in 1991. Two years later, only two branches, in Nowe Miasto Lubawskie and Brodnica, were still working. The next administrative country reform moved the branches from Nowe Miasto Lubawskie to the area of Warmia and Mazury district. Today, only the one branch of the Pedagogical Library still exists - in Brodnica. In 1999, in connection with educational reforms, the managing organ of the Pedagogical Library was changed from the School Superindent’s Office to the self-government of Kujawy and Pomorze district. In 2001 the Library celebrated its eightieth birthday, at which occasion the Marshal of Kujawy and Pomorze district, Waldemar Achramowicz, promised to find a bigger and more comfortable building for the Library. Five years later the Pedagogical Library moved to a reconditioned edifice, where it is presently located.